Friday, May 27, 2016

bravo zulu

1 1/2 oz Bacardi Superior (El Dorado 5 Year)
1/2 oz Noilly Prat Sweet Vermouth (Dolin)
1/2 oz Lime Juice
1/2 oz Pineapple Juice
1/4 oz Cinnamon Syrup

Shake with ice and strain into an Old Fashioned glass (Tiki mug) filled with crushed ice. Garnish with a mint sprig.
Two Fridays ago, I strained off my new batch of cinnamon syrup to make a recipe that I spotted in the current issue of Chilled Magazine. The magazine featured some of the recipes from this year's Bacardi Legacy competition, and Vincent Toscano's Bravo Zulu seemed like a delight. With sweet vermouth in the mix, it reminded me of other tropical numbers like the Floridita and the Tortuga. When I made Vincent's drink that he created at San Francisco's Rye, it presented a mint bouquet to the nose. Next, lime, caramel, and a vague fruitiness from the pineapple on the sip gave way to rum, grape, and pineapple flavors on the swallow with a cinnamon finish.

No comments: